Privacy of Your Information
Important Privacy Choices for Consumers
After you read this notice, if you decide that our practices and procedures meet your expectations, there is nothing you need to do. If you do not want data about you shared as outlined, you may tell us your data-sharing choices, as described in this notice. Once you tell us of your choice, we will honor it until you change it.
Security of data about you
We have strict standards of security to safeguard your data. We have physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in place to protect your data. The technology we use to protect your data is reviewed often. Those who use your data must follow established standards, procedures and laws.
View our Security Policy for additional information.
Having correct data about you permits us to: provide better customer service, increase the efficiency of our operations, and comply with legal and regulatory requirements. The data we collect about you varies by the products, services or benefits you request and may include data:
- We receive from you on applications or other forms, such as name, address, Social Security number, birth date, assets and income.
- We receive from consumer-reporting agencies, such as credit history.
- Obtained from churches or Thrivent Member Networks, such as congregation name and volunteer activities.
- About your transactions and experience with us, such as products or services purchased, your contract values, and payment history.
- From outside sources relating to their relationship with you or that verifies representations made by you. This includes your employment history, other insurance coverage and medical or public records.
- General in nature, such as email address and demographic data.
Data-sharing practices within our organization
We may share the data we have about you within our family of companies.∗ We only share information about your health as permitted by law. For example, we share your health information to process claims and underwrite your application for insurance.
Sharing your data allows us to:
- Provide you with better customer service.
- Help you make decisions about your products and benefits.
- Inform you of products, services and benefits that may be of interest to you.
Federal law gives you the right to limit some but not all marketing from our affiliates. Federal law also requires us to give you this notice to tell you about your choice to limit marketing from our affiliates.
Sharing data outside our organization
We do not share data about you with other organizations, except as permitted by law. For example, we are permitted to share data about you to:
- Help us underwrite your insurance or open your account.
- Process transactions and administer your claims.
- Organizations that act for us or on our behalf, or provide services for us.
- Detect fraud and other criminal activity.
- Comply with an inquiry by a government agency or regulator.
- Assist us in providing benefits to you as part of your membership.
We may share data that identifies you (such as name, address, telephone number, age and gender) and your fraternal relationship data (such as Thrivent Member Network number) with organizations that perform marketing services on our behalf, and other financial institutions with which we have joint marketing agreements.
In all states except California, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota and Vermont, we also may share data that identifies you, as described above, with nonprofit Christian organizations, such as churches and schools or partner organizations.
Transmission of data to other countries
Your personal information is processed in the United States, where privacy laws may be less stringent than the laws in your country and where the government, courts, or law enforcement may be able to access your information. By submitting your personal information to us you agree to the transfer, storage and processing of your information in the United States.
Accuracy of your data
Our goal is to keep your data accurate and up-to-date. You may request access to and correction of your data by writing to us at the following address:
4321 N. Ballard Rd.
Appleton, WI 54919-0001
Our treatment of data about former customers
If you no longer have products or services with us, we will not share your data with other organizations, other than as permitted by law. We may still share data about you within our family of companies.∗
Do you reside in the EU?
If you reside, permanently or temporarily, in the European Union, we may provide you with additional options concerning your information.
- Changes to your Personal Information. We rely upon you to update and correct your personal information. If you identify an error in your information you can make a request that we modify it by contacting us using the information in the “Accuracy of your data” section above.
- Access to your Personal Information. If required by law we will grant reasonable access to Personal Information that we hold about you. All requests must be directed to the address included in the “Accuracy of your data” section above.
- Revocation of Consent or Restricting Processing. If you revoke your consent for the processing of personal information, or wish to restrict the ways in which we can use your information, then we may no longer be able to provide you certain services. In some cases we may limit or deny your request to revoke consent or restrict use if the law permits or requires us to do so, or if our processing is not based on your consent. If you would like to revoke your consent or restrict our use of information such a request must be directed to the address included in the “Accuracy of your data” section above.
- Deletion of your Information. Typically we retain your Personal Information for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this policy, unless a longer retention period is required by one of Thrivent’s industry regulators. If required by law, and permitted by our regulators, we will grant a request that we delete your Personal Information. All such requests must be directed to the address included in the “Accuracy of your data” section above.
- Request that we remove your name from some or all of our internal marketing lists. You should know that our regular service mailings may still contain marketing materials.
- Tell us not to share data about you within our family of companies.∗ However, we may still share your name, address and telephone number; your Social Security number (for tax-reporting and identification purposes); the existence of your products, services or benefits; and data about you as needed by our fraternal operations, including branches.
- Direct us not to share data about you with other financial institutions with which we have joint marketing agreements.
- Tell us not to share data about you with nonprofit Christian organizations or partner organizations.
- Our Privacy of Information About Your Health notice describes the ways in which Thrivent Financial may use and disclose information about your health.
- Our Notice of Insurance Information Practices provides a more detailed explanation of the use of your information in our insurance operations.
Restrict information-sharing with others
You may tell us not to share data about you by writing us to the address included in the “Accuracy of your data” section above or by calling us toll-free at 800-847-4836. We are available to answer calls between the hours of 7 a.m. and 6 p.m., Central time Monday – Friday. You may also visit our online Preference Center within the Manage My Profile section of My Thrivent on Thrivent.com. Click "Update Communication Choices" and select "Opt Out" to restrict our information-sharing practices. You may:
It may take six to eight weeks to make your choice(s) fully effective. If you are a joint-contract owner or a joint-account holder, you may receive this notice on behalf of all joint owners. As a joint-contract owner or joint-account holder, you may choose one or more of the listed options that apply in your home state on behalf of all joint owners or only on your own behalf.
Complaints can be sent to us at the address included in the “Accuracy of your data” section above. Some jurisdictions may also allow you to complain to a data protection authority as well.
Other privacy-related notices
To request a paper copy of this notice, or any of the above notices, you can write to us at the address included in the “Accuracy of your data” section above.
∗ Information about you may be shared between Thrivent Financial and the following selected affiliates:
- Thrivent Trust Company
- Thrivent Investment Management Inc.
- Thrivent Life Insurance Company
- Thrivent Financial Investor Services Inc.
- Thrivent Insurance Agency Inc.
- Thrivent Asset Management, LLC
- Thrivent Mutual Funds
- Thrivent Series Fund, Inc.
- Thrivent Core Funds
- Thrivent Cash Management Trust
- Thrivent Distributors, LLC
- cuLearn, LLC
- Thrivent Education Funding, LLC
- Thrivent Education Finance Group, LLC
- North Meadows Investment Ltd.