Terms and Conditions for Thrivent Financial for Lutherans and its applicable affiliates and subsidiaries Payment Service are detailed below. Please print and retain a copy of these Terms and Conditions for your records.
Thrivent’s Payment Service is subject to all the following terms and conditions (the "Terms and Conditions") and provisions of your contract or account and prospectus, if applicable. To the extent that any term or provision of these Terms and Conditions is inconsistent with the provision of your contract, account or prospectus, the terms of the contract, account or prospectus shall control. These Terms and Conditions and your contract or account and prospectus, if applicable, constitute the entire agreement with respect to the payment or contribution to your contract or account and transactions conducted through the Thrivent Payment Service and supersede all prior oral or written agreements with respect to the matters covered in these Terms and Conditions.
As used in these Terms and Conditions, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
- "Business Day" means each day the New York Stock Exchange is open for trading. For non-Securities products, if Thrivent is open for business and it is not a day the New York Stock Exchange is open for trading, your payment will still be processed and posted on that day.
- "Payment" means any bill payment, purchase, or contribution to be made to Thrivent Financial for Lutherans and its applicable affiliates and subsidiaries.
- "Payment Account" means the financial institution account from which your Payments will be made.
- "Payment Cut-Off Time" for non-Securities products means 7:59:59 PM EST on a Business Day, and for Securities products means prior to the close of the New York Stock Exchange (generally 4:00 PM EST) on a Business Day. The Payment Cut-Off Time is the time by which Payment Details must be Received to have your Payment posted through the Thrivent Payment Service on that particular Business Day.
- "Payment Details" means the method of Payment information (including, but not limited to, bank account number and ABA routing number, debit card number, etc.), Payment amount, and other relevant Payment instructions entered in the Thrivent Payment Service to authorize Payment.
- “Received” means the Payment is received by Thrivent or Thrivent’s Third-Party Payment Provider in good order. Good order means that your Payment Details have been received by Thrivent or Thrivent’s Third-Party Payment Provider in the form required by Thrivent as detailed in your contract or prospectus.
- "Thrivent Payment Service" or "Service" means the online, Interactive Voice Response, and mobile application bill payment services made available to you by Thrivent Financial for Lutherans and its applicable affiliates and subsidiaries through which you can make permitted Payments to Thrivent and its applicable affiliates or subsidiaries.
- "Thrivent" means Thrivent Financial for Lutherans and its applicable affiliates and subsidiaries. "Thrivent" may also be referred to in these Terms and Conditions as "we", "us", or "our".
- “Securities Products” means Variable Universal Life, Variable Annuities, Brokerage Accounts, and Mutual Funds Accounts.
- “Third-Party Payment Provider” means a vendor that Thrivent contracts with and utilizes to process Payments made through the Service.
II. Thrivent's Payment Service
a) Thrivent may utilize a Third-Party Payment Provider in processing Payments made through the Service. When accessing the Service and authorizing a Payment through the Service, you authorize Thrivent to share the Payment Details with the Third-Party Payment Provider to process and effectuate your Payment in accordance with your Payment Details.
b) When authorizing a Payment through the Service, you will schedule a date associated with the Payment. The scheduled Payment date must be a Business Day. If Payment Details are Received before the Payment Cut-Off Time on a Business Day, your Payment will be posted on that Business Day. If Payments Details are Received after the Payment Cut-Off Time on a Business Day, your Payment will be posted on the next Business Day.
c) Your Thrivent account or contract will be credited to reflect the amount of any Payment authorized by you through the Service after Thrivent’s Third-Party Payment Provider has initiated the processing of such Payment. Such credit is subject to Thrivent's final receipt of good funds. Your Thrivent account balance will generally be updated to reflect this credit within two Business Days of the date on which Thrivent’s Third-Party Payment Provider initiates the processing of your Payment.
d) By entering into the Service you agree that any Payment Account you include in any Payment Details will be a Payment Account that you are legally authorized to use to make Payments.
e) The Service is provided to you for personal, non-commercial use only. The Service may not be used for illegal activity or purposes, including payment fraud or identity theft. By agreeing to use the Service you understand and agree you will not use the Service for any purpose that is not detailed in these Terms and Conditions. You shall not attempt to gain unauthorized access to the Service through any means.
f) The Service shall incur no liability and any Payment shall be void if the Service is unable to complete any Payments initiated by you because of the existence of any one or more of the following circumstances:
- If, through no fault of the Service, your Payment Account does not contain sufficient funds to complete the transaction or the transaction would exceed the credit limit of your overdraft account;
- The Payment processing center is not working properly and you know or have been advised by Thrivent about the malfunction before you execute the transaction;
- You have not provided the Service with the correct Payment Account information, or the correct name, address, phone number, or account information for the Payment; and/or,
- Circumstances beyond control of the Service (such as, but not limited to, fire, flood, or interference from an outside force) prevent the proper execution of the transaction and the Service has taken reasonable precautions to avoid those circumstances.
Provided none of the foregoing exceptions are applicable, if the Service causes an incorrect amount of funds to be removed from your Payment Account which does not comply with your Payment Instructions, the Service shall be responsible for returning the improperly transferred funds to your Payment Account and, if applicable, for any late payment related charges.
III. Password and Security
You agree not to give or make available your password or other means to access your account to any unauthorized individuals. You are responsible for all Payments you authorize using the Service. If you permit other persons to use the Service or your password or other means to access your account, you are responsible for any transactions they authorize. If you believe that your password or other means to access your account has been lost or stolen or that someone may attempt to use the Service without your consent or has made a Payment without your permission, you must notify Thrivent at once by calling 1-800-Thrivent during business hours.
IV. Exclusion of Warrantees
The Thrivent Payment Service and related documentation are provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warrantees of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.
V. Your Liability For Unauthorized Payments
If you tell us within two (2) Business Days after you discover your password or other means to access your account has been lost or stolen, your liability is no more than $50.00 should someone access your account without your permission. If you do not tell us within two (2) Business Days after you learn of such loss or theft, and we can prove that we could have prevented the unauthorized use of your password or other means to access your account if you had told us, you could be liable for as much as $500.00. If your monthly financial institution statement contains transfers that you did not authorize, you must tell us at once. If you do not tell us within sixty (60) days after the statement was sent to you, you may lose any amount transferred without your authorization after the sixty (60) days if we can prove that we could have stopped someone from taking the money had you told us in time. Thrivent reserves the right to extend the period based on the particular facts and circumstances surrounding the unauthorized payment.
VI. Errors and Questions
In case of errors or questions about your transactions, you should as soon as possible notify us via one of the following:
- Telephone us at 800-Thrivent (
800-847-4836) during customer service hours; and/or,
- Write us at:
4321 N. Ballard Road Appleton, WI 54919-0001
If you think your statement is incorrect or you need more information about the Service transaction listed on the statement, we must hear from you no later than sixty (60) days after the FIRST statement was sent to you on which the problem or error appears. You must:
- Tell us your name and the Service Confirmation number;
- Describe the error or the transaction in question, and explain as clearly as possible why you believe it is an error or why you need more information; and,
- Tell us the dollar amount of the suspected error.
If you notify us verbally, we may require that you send your complaint in writing within ten (10) Business Days after your verbal notification. We will tell you the results of our investigation within ten (10) Business Days after we hear from you, and will correct any error promptly. However, if we require more time to confirm the nature of your complaint or question, we reserve the right to take up to forty-five (45) days to complete our investigation. If we decide to do this, we will provisionally credit your Payment Account within ten (10) Business Days for the amount you think is in error. If we ask you to submit your complaint or question in writing and we do not receive it within ten (10) Business Days, we may not provisionally credit your Payment Account. If it is determined there was no error we will mail you a written explanation within three (3) Business Days after completion of our investigation. You may ask for copies of documents used in our investigation. The Service may revoke any provisional credit provided to you if we find an error did not occur.
VII. Disclosure of Account Information To Third Parties
It is our general policy to treat your account information as confidential. However, we will disclose information to third parties about your account or the transactions you make ONLY in the following situations:
- Where it is necessary for completing transactions;
- Where it is necessary for activating additional services;
- In order to verify the existence and condition of your account to a third party, such as a credit bureau or Payment Account;
- To a consumer reporting agency for research purposes only;
- In order to comply with a governmental agency or court orders; or,
VIII. Service Fees and Additional Charges
There is no current charge for use of the Service. Any applicable fees will be charged regardless of whether the Service was used during the billing cycle. Any financial fees associated with your standard deposit accounts, securities accounts or accounts, or other accounts will continue to apply. You are responsible for any and all fees associated with your Payment Account used to make Payments. You are responsible for any and all telephone access fees, mobile phone fees, and/or Internet service fees that may be assessed by your telephone, mobile, and/or Internet service provider.
IX. Alterations and Amendments
These Terms and Conditions may be altered or amended by Thrivent from time to time in Thrivent’s sole discretion. All changes are effective immediately when Thrivent posts them and apply to all access to and use of the Service thereafter. Any use of the Service after Thrivent provides you a notice of change will constitute your agreement to such change(s). Further, Thrivent may, from time to time, revise or update the applications, services, and/or related material, which may render all such prior versions obsolete. Consequently, Thrivent reserves the right to terminate these Terms and Conditions as to all such prior versions of the applications, services, and/or related material and limit access to only Thrivent's more recent revisions and updates. If you do not agree to any such change Thrivent makes to the Terms and Conditions, you must immediately stop using the Service and notify Thrivent that you are terminating your access to and use of the Service in accordance with the Termination provisions set forth below.
X. Address or Bank Information Changes
It is your sole responsibility to ensure that the contact information in your user profile is current and accurate. This includes, but is not limited to, name, address, phone numbers and email addresses. Changes can be made within the application. Any changes in your Payment Account should also be made in accordance with the procedures outlined within the application's Help Center. All changes made are effective immediately for future payments paid from the updated Payment Account information. If a pending Payment exists at the time of changes to your Payment Account, you will need to modify your pending payment to reflect the changes. The Service is not responsible for any payment processing errors or fees incurred if you do not provide accurate Payment Account or contact information.
XI. Service Termination, Cancellation, or Suspension
In the event you wish to cancel the Service, you may have the ability to do so through the product, or you may contact customer service via one of the following:
- Telephone us at (800) THRIVENT during customer service hours; and/or
- Write us at:
4321 N. Ballard Road Appleton, WI 54919-0001
Any pending payment(s) the Service has already accepted or processed before the requested cancellation date will be completed by Thrivent, unless deleted by you prior to the transaction being processed. The Service may terminate or suspend Service to you at any time. Neither termination nor suspension shall affect your liability or obligations under this Agreement.
XII. Transfer Types and Limitations/ Assignment
You may use the Service to make Payments from your Payment Account to Thrivent and its applicable affiliates and subsidiaries only.
The Payments permitted are in accordance and dictated by your contract, account and/or prospectus.
You may not assign this Agreement to any other party. The Service may assign this Agreement to any future, directly or indirectly, affiliated company. The Service may also assign or delegate certain of its rights and responsibilities under this Agreement to independent contractors or other third parties.
XIII. Handling of Disputes
In the event of a dispute regarding the Service, you and Thrivent will resolve the dispute by looking to these Terms and Conditions and your contract, prospectus or account. The dispute process shall be followed in accordance with that permitted in your contract, prospectus, or account.
XIV. Governing Law/ No Waiver
This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Wisconsin without regard to its conflicts of laws provisions. To the extent that the terms of these Terms and Conditions conflict with applicable state or federal law, such state or federal law shall replace such conflicting terms only to the extent required by law. Unless expressly stated otherwise, all other terms in these Terms and Conditions shall remain in full force and effect.
The Service shall not be deemed to have waived any of its rights or remedies hereunder unless such waiver is in writing and signed by the Service and if in accordance with your Thrivent contract, prospectus, or account. No delay or omission on the part of the Service in exercising any rights or remedies shall operate as a waiver of such rights or remedies or any other rights or remedies. A waiver on any one occasion shall not be construed as a bar or waiver of any rights or remedies in future occasions.
The foregoing shall constitute the Service's entire liability and your exclusive remedy. In no event shall the Service be liable for any direct, indirect, special, incidental, consequential, or exemplary damages, including lost profits (even if advised of the possibility thereof) arising in any way out of the installation, use, or maintenance of the equipment, software, and/or the Service.
Last updated September 9, 2021