Get connected now
Viewing article within:
Get connected now: Contact me
Thrivent Builds: 10 Years of Building Brighter Futures
March 7, 2017
Thrivent members are making a difference in local communities & around the world by helping provide safe, affordable housing
Nearly 2 billion people around the world today live in slum housing.* Habitat for Humanity wants to change that.
Founded in 1976, the global nonprofit envisions a world where – no matter who we are or where we come from – we all have a healthy, safe place to call home, along with the opportunity to build a better future.
For the last 40 years, Habitat's volunteers have brought that vision to life by building houses alongside future homeowners, or repairing the homes of current homeowners.
With a history of supporting programs that help build stronger families and communities, it was only natural for Thrivent Financial to partner with Habitat. The Thrivent Builds with Habitat for Humanity partnership formally launched in 2005.
Thrivent Builds empowers Thrivent members and other volunteers to help families obtain strength, stability and self-reliance through shelter. The partnership features three programs:
- Thrivent Builds Homes is the largest of the three programs and focuses on improving communities across the nation by helping Habitat build homes in partnership with low-income families.
- Thrivent Builds Repairs provides for the repair of existing homes in partnership with families who don't have the resources or ability to make the repairs themselves. Partner families may include senior citizens, veterans, single mothers or others needing assistance.
- Thrivent Builds Worldwide allows Thrivent members and others to give financially and volunteer their time as they travel to international or domestic locations for a week or more to build Habitat homes and experience other cultures.
Thrivent Builds by the numbers
The numbers below highlight the partnership's lasting impact. But as telling as they are, numbers can't fully illustrate the lives changed – both for the families who now live in safe homes and for the volunteers who helped build and repair those homes.
Together, Thrivent Builds Homes, Thrivent Builds Repairs and Thrivent Builds Worldwide,
have made a tangible impact on families around the world. From 2005 through 2016:
- 4,975: Homes built, renovated or repaired. That means nearly 5,000 families worked alongside volunteers to build a brighter future for themselves and their family.
- 21,000: People building better lives because they have a safe, affordable place to call home.
- 727,000: Big-hearted volunteers putting their faith into action to love their neighbors around the corner and across the globe.
- 5.2 million: Volunteer hours donated by Thrivent members and others. That's equal to 604 years of continuous volunteer work. The amount of hugs given, prayers offered and relationships built cannot be measured.
- 44: The number of countries that Thrivent members and other volunteers built homes in and experienced the cultures of – including Asia, Canada, Central and South America, the Caribbean, Europe, the South Pacific, the United Kingdom and Africa – through the Thrivent Builds Worldwide program.
- 46: The number of states, plus the District of Columbia, in which families across the U.S. now have new or improved housing and the opportunity to create better futures thanks to Thrivent Builds.
- $226 million: Amount contibuted by Thrivent and Thrivent members to combat substandard housing and increase opportunity and self-reliance. That's a lot of sheetrock, paint, doors, insulation and other materials!
Continuing our commitment in 2017In order to continue to provide families access to affordable, adequate housing around the world, Thrivent and its members made a financial commitment of more than $14 million in 2017. This money will go toward funding the construction, rehabilitation or repair of nearly 600 homes in the U.S. and up to 150 international and domestic trips across the U.S. and across the globe.
Get connected now! Contact me