Get connected now
Viewing article within:
Get connected now: Contact me
10 Ways to Spread Joy this Christmas Season
November 23, 2015
The season of giving is here, which means it’s the perfect time to round up your friends and family to live generously. Apply to lead a Thrivent Action Team this year and get ready to make a positive change. In need of project idea? Look no further! Here are 10 awesome ways to spread generosity and Christmas cheer throughout the holidays.
1. Carols & cards for veterans.
- Sing Christmas carols and decorate Christmas cards with residents at the local veterans home.
- Seed money tip: Buy materials to make cards and/or buy Christmas treats to share with the veterans. Who doesn’t love cookies and hot cocoa!
2. Birthday party for Jesus.
- Invite kids from your community to a birthday party for Jesus. Tell the Christmas story. Encourage guests to bring gifts for Jesus that will be donated to a local women’s shelter.
- Seed money tip: Buy Christmas story books and treats for the kids attending.
3. Adopt-a-family fundraiser.
- Host a Christmas concert, Christmas dinner or a Christmas auction to raise money to help local families in need.
- Seed money tip: Use the money to promote your event, or buy fundraising materials or paper to wrap the gifts after your fundraiser.
4. Warm hearts & hands.
- Knit mittens, scarves and hats for a local shelter. Make blankets for the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) at a local hospital. Attach a kind Christmas message to each item.
- Seed money tip: Buy yarn and other materials.
5. Toy & book drive.
- Host a toy and book drive in your community and have an on-site wrapping party. Provide hot cocoa and play Christmas music as you wrap.
- Seed money tip: Buy wrapping paper and refreshments.
6. Red Kettle bells.
- Ring bells for The Salvation Army. Have any singers on your Thrivent Action Team? Sing while you ring! Hand out goodie bags to people passing by. Include a note about The Salvation Army and its needs for the Christmas season.
- Seed money tip: Buy materials to make goodie bags and items to put in the bags.
7. Stockings for pups.
- Make stockings to take to a local animal shelter. Stuff the stockings with treats and toys.
- Seed money tip: Buy material to make the stockings. Purchase toys, treats and dog food.
8. Serve the homeless.
- Serve a meal at a local homeless shelter.
- Seed money tip: Buy ingredients to make a meal. If the shelter provides the food, use the seed money to purchase goodies or small items to hand out to guests.
9. Christmas care for the troops.
- Have a Christmas card and care package party for the troops. Decorate cards, organize care packages and send Christmas cheer all around the globe.
- Seed money tip: Buy materials for making cards and items to put in care packages.
10. Reindeer run.
- Invite community members to participate in a 5K walk/run with all of the proceeds going to a local shelter or other nonprofit.
- Seed money tip: Promote the run and provide refreshments after the run.
Love one of these ideas? Then round up your friends and family, apply to lead a Thrivent Action Team, and you’ll be ready to make a positive change. Be sure you’ve taken the opportunity to apply for your Thrivent Action Team for 2015 by Dec. 31. We can’t wait to see what you do this Christmas season to #livegenerously!
Get connected now! Contact me