Get connected now
Viewing article within:
Be Wise With Money
Get connected now: Contact me
Retirement Planning: How to Stay in the Game
October 21, 2016
Thinking ahead to retirement can help you make smart financial moves. Here are some potentially game-changing tips.
You've saved for retirement for years, squirreling away money and investing it wisely.
But how do you know you’ll actually have enough? Here are four strategies that can help you prepare for life after work.
4 Retirement planning strategies
1. Count your money.
- Reduce your retirement lifestyle expectations.
- Save and invest more.
- Work longer if you can. Doing so will give you more years to contribute to your retirement accounts.
2. Make it last.
3. Take it out in the right order.
- Taxable: These include mutual funds, savings accounts, individual stocks and bonds, etc.
- Tax-deferred: Investments and income from retirement accounts such as traditional individual retirement accounts (IRAs), traditional 401(k)s and certain types of annuities aren't taxed until you take money out.
- Tax-free: Funds you take out from Roth IRAs, Roth 401(k)s and whole life insurance are not taxed as long as you meet certain qualifications. The best strategy for lowering your tax rate: Tap your tax-free accounts more than your other retirement sources.
4. Be strategic about Social Security.
Get connected now! Contact me
Thrivent Financial representatives and employees cannot provide legal, accounting, or tax advice or services. Work with your Thrivent Financial representative, and as appropriate, your attorney and/or tax professional for additional information.
Thrivent Financial and its respective associates and employees have general knowledge of the Social Security tenets; however, they do not have the professional expertise for a complete discussion of the details of your specific situation. For additional information, contact your local Social Security Administration office.
Hypothetical example is for illustrative purposes only. It is not intended to represent the performance of any particular investment product, nor does it take into consideration any product expenses or fees. The results would be reduced if the costs were included.
Securities and investment advisory services are offered through Thrivent Investment Management Inc., 625 Fourth Ave. S., Minneapolis, MN 55415, a FINRA and SIPC member and a wholly owned subsidiary of Thrivent Financial, the marketing name for Thrivent Financial for Lutherans. Thrivent Financial representatives are registered representatives of Thrivent Investment Management Inc. They are also licensed insurance agents/producers of Thrivent Financial. Fee-based investment advisory services are available through qualified investment advisor representatives only.