Chapter Depository Authorization
Signature Card & Security Questions
A signature card should be promptly signed and submitted if a new financial or assistant financial director was elected or appointed, or anytime there are changes to who should have access to a chapter checking account. Fill out the Chapter Depository Authorization form (Link opens in new window) (PDF, 272K), sign it and send the form to:
Member Connection Center Processing
Thrivent Financial for Lutherans
4321 N. Ballard Rd.
Appleton, WI 54919
All authorized signers must sign when a new signature card is submitted, even if they've previously signed the card. For example, if a new assistant financial director is elected, the re-elected financial director must sign the card again even though he or she already signed it for the previous year. The previous signature card becomes inactive when the new card is received.
Account Access Guidelines & Best Practices
- At least two chapter leaders should sign the signature card for the chapter's primary account to have authorization access and sign checks.
- The financial director and assistant financial director must sign the signature card.
- If there isn't an assistant financial director, another leader should sign the signature card and complete the security questions.
- Anyone who signs the signature card must take an active role in monitoring the checking account and be available to sign checks, as needed.
- All authorized signers should have the online banking access information and a couple of blank checks so they are able to issue one if the financial director is unable to do so.
- If copies of checks or credit union statements are needed, more than one person should be authorized to obtain those pieces of information.
- More than one person should be authorized to monitor the checking account, so more than one person who has access and can respond to questions.
- Be sure all signers share banking access information, but keep their own individual security questions. The financial director establishes the online banking login information (user ID and password), and provides it to other signers so they can access and monitor online banking. Security questions are used if a leader contacts the bank by phone.
- Signature cards should be signed by those in one of the 10 elected board positions only. The past financial or assistant financial director is not authorized to access the checking account after December 31, of the year they served as financial or assistant financial director.